North Baltimore Public Library Internet Policy
Note: Users must sign the policy. If under 18, a parent or guardian must come in the Library and sign a permission slip allowing children to use the Internet.
If an individual is under 18 years of age, the parent(s) / legal guardian(s) are financially responsible for any damage incurred.
North Baltimore Public Library offers OPLIN (Ohio Public Library Information Network) as a local access point for the Internet to further the educational, informational, and recreational needs of our patrons. This free service is an exciting way to connect with the world, complete homework assignments, and continue learning for life.
To use an Internet computer you need to present a valid Library card each time, and you must sign in at the front desk. The computer may be used for 30 minutes at a time. If no one is waiting, or signed up to use the computer, you may continue to use the computer for another 30 minutes. Daily use is limited to one hour. The computer may be reserved 48 hours in advance. However, if you are 10 minutes late, you will lose your 30 minute time slot.
If you owe fines of more than $1.00, you will not be able to sign up to use a computer until the fine is paid.
The Library staff can offer only basic help with logging on and off the Internet. The staff can not perform searches for individuals.
Because patrons are responsible for using the Internet themselves, these guidelines must be followed so that everyone can enjoy this electronic resource. Each person is responsible for:
- correct, proper, and legal use of the equipment and Internet connections. The use of the North Baltimore Public Library Internet connection to engage in any activity which constitutes violation of local, state, and/or federal laws is strictly prohibited.
- avoiding sexually oriented, profane and/or pornographic text, graphics and photos
- obeying United States copyright laws,
- the cost of repairing the equipment (including programs/software) caused by misuse or abuse of the Library's/State of Ohio's property,
- allowing others the right to enjoy the Internet by observing polite and acceptable behavior,
- observing the time limits set for computer use.
Misusing the equipment or violating this policy will result in the loss of computer / Internet privileges for a period of 3 (three) months.
A second violation will result in the permanent / lifetime loss of computer / Internet privileges.
The Library is also not responsible for accuracy of information available on the Internet, because the Library has no control over that material.
Personal software may be used at your own risk. The Library is not responsible for damage resulting to the media, (floppy disks or CDs or thumb drives) used by Patrons.
The Library is not responsible for viruses which may exist on the Internet or for the importation of viruses from the Internet to personal media, or for any other damages resulting from the use of the World Wide Web.
The computers are protected by multiple software safeguards. If your program will not load, you will not be able to use it. The Library will not disable any software safeguards to allow any program to be run.
Users should also be aware that Library staff may monitor use of the computers for the limited purpose of ensuring compliance with this Policy, and hereby consent to such monitoring.
The Library offers Wireless Local Area Connection. Please read and sign the Library Wireless agreement to use this service.
The North Baltimore Public Library Wireless Internet Access Agreement
By signing the agreement you agree to the terms listed here.
- You have read, agreed to, and do understand the North Baltimore Public Library Internet Policy.
- Use of this service is limited to the hours that the library is open.
- You understand that like most public wireless "hot spots" the library's Wireless Access is not secure. Any information being sent or received could potentially be intercepted by another wireless user and that third parties may be able to obtain information regarding your activities. The Library is not responsible for any loss or liability that may occur as a result of the disclosure of financial or other personal information over the Internet or for any damage caused to your hardware or software due to electric surges, security issues or consequences caused by viruses, spyware or hacking.
- You should have up-to-date virus protection, firewalls and spyware protection on your personal laptop computers or wireless devices. Virus and security protection is the sole responsibility of the wireless user.
- All users of this service agree to hold the North Baltimore Public Library harmless from any and all claims, losses, damages, obligations, or liabilities directly or indirectly relating to the use of the North Baltimore Public Library wireless Internet connection, caused thereby or arising therefrom.
- The use of the North Baltimore Public Library wireless Internet connection to engage in any activity which constitutes violation of local, state, and/or federal laws is strictly prohibited.
- Respect the privacy of others by not misrepresenting yourself as another user; by not attempting to modify or gain access to files, passwords, or data belonging to others; by not seeking unauthorized access to any computer system, or damaging or altering software components of any network or database.
- Users should also be aware that Library staff may monitor use of the computers for the limited purpose of ensuring compliance with this Policy, and hereby consent to such monitoring.
If you do not agree to the above terms, you will not be issued the passkey required to access the wireless Internet service. Please disable your wireless connection or turn off your computer.